For over a decade, the Thalassemia Center at Cohen Children's Medical Center has been providing comprehensive care for children with thalassemia. Currently, approximately thirty patients are followed in our center. Services include:
- Genetic counseling and prenatal diagnosis
- Medical therapy including transfusion, chelation, cardiac and endocrine follow-up
- Stem cell transplantation when a suitable donor is available
- Education support for patients and families
- In addition, as a member of the New York Regional Thalassemia Network, the Thalassemia Center is involved in research on the epidemiology and treatment of thalassemia.