Preparing You and Your Child for Surgery
No matter what surgery your child needs at the Steven and Alexandra Cohen Children’s Medical Center of New York, we think it is essential to prepare you and your child both physically and emotionally for this hospital experience. Our goal is to provide you with the information that you need to feel most prepared for the day of surgery. The following information is based on a typical surgical experience.
Our Child Life Pre Surgical Orientation program is also available to help prepare you and your child by providing a step by step walk-through of what the surgical process will be like.
What can you expect from our orientation?
- The orientation takes about 1 hour
- You will meet with a Nurse and/or a Child Life Specialist
- You and your child can ask questions about having surgery
- Your child will also have the opportunity to learn what this experience will be like through medical play- they can touch and play with actual medical equipment!
- A walking tour of the hospital
Scheduling Your Pre Surgical Orientation
If you have questions about our Pre Surgical Orientation, or would like to schedule your orientation please call the Child Life and Creative Art Therapies Program. Please dial (718) 470-3005, and enter extension number 1.
Child Life Pre-Surgical Orientation Days and Times:
- Tuesdays at 9:00 am
- Wednesdays at 9:00 am, 1:30 pm, 2:30 pm, 3:30 pm
- Saturdays may also be available depending on the date
Check out our very own coloring book, Preparing for an Operation . It is a great tool to use with your child to talk to them about coming to the hospital for surgery.